Thursday, December 9, 2010

A New Morning Routine

That little exercise yesterday hit me a little harder then I had anticipated. Although I knew my priorities were off a little bit I didn't realize how...trivial my life is seeming on a list. I know my life is defined by way more then 10 things but it was a good reminder of my priorities and making sure that my time is portioned out to things that are long term goals of mine.

I felt a little overwhelmed trying to figure out where I would find more time to do things I loved, and it dawned on me that getting up earlier would be a great time to get a few more hours to do whatever I felt like. Normally I am up at 7:30 since I don't have to be at work until 9, but I decided to get up at 5:30 am with my husband (he's a teacher) and see what I could accomplish.

It was AWESOME.

I started out my morning with reading some scripture and meditating and journaling to get my mind and soul prepared for the day. Scott was sweet enough to make me some coffee- it makes me a little sick to drink caffeine on an empty stomach so it was mostly for smell and mood effects until I got to breakfast.

After journaling and kissing my husband goodbye, I threw on some jeans and a hoodie, grabbed my camera and slipped into the backyard. It was beautiful out. It was still and quiet and smooth and creativity seemed to just permeate the air around me. I've never considered myself a morning person (although I really want to be one), but I could definitely see the appeal. I took pictures of EVERYTHING in my backyard- grass, leaves, dirt, bricks, fences, houses, and of course- the biggest stars of the morning my 2 dogs Boomer and Bella. They sure didn't mind showing off for the camera!

In fact, I figure if I can successfully photograph those two I should be well on my way to photography victory- I am betting most clients won't bark at each other, run in circles and bite each other's legs. Although you never know?!!? Haha!!

I was really appreciative and in awe of the sunrise this morning. What beautiful colors are swirled in the sky!! I never take the time to appreciate the little things. I grow almost numb and unbothered by the unique beauty of the orangey-pinky-blue canvas. The trees were almost completely bare except for two leaves- still green and growing upright rather then brown and wilted. Hope. Spring will return!! I miss the warm weather!!



After attempting to dethaw my hands, I decided to whip up some pumpkin pancakes. I used multi grain pancake mix and added Organic canned pumpkin, Allspice, cinnamon, and a tablespoon of Organic maple syrup. Doesn't it look like art?


Breakfast consisted of 4 small pumpkin pancakes topped with blackberries and a little Agave. It was SO good and literally kept me full until 2pm.

At work today, I decided to take a bold step that I have been wanting to do for a long time. I decided to throw out a special "promotional" price on my photography on facebook to see how many clients I could get. Within 4 hours I had booked $400 worth of photography. Which is mind blowing. People are totally willing to take a chance on me. I am humbled and excited, but also practicing taking pictures like crazy- I have a couple shoot on Saturday and a Newborn on Sunday! :) Who knows what the future will bring. I'm just mostly excited about the posibilities of it all!

For dinner we decided to do something different and made Angela's Vegan Mac and Cheese. Oh my goodness....it was awesome. She is brilliant- literally every recipe of hers I have tried is awesome! I also threw together a quick side salad with mixed greens, blackberries, carrots, sunflower seeds, and homemade vinaigrette. (I also put blue cheese crumbles in it...that doesn't even make sense to do with vegan mac and cheese...but it was delicious!!!)




Vinaigrette Recipe
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon Opa Seasoning



Vinaigrette is superfun to make because there is a lot of creative freedom. The biggest "rule" is to keep the vinegar to oil ratio a 1:3, but I break that all the time because I like mine a little tart, especially when I have salads with fruit. It helps bring out the natural sugar of the berries. In fact, berries and vinegar together are lovely (my 2 favorites are orange vinegar and balsamic for fruit).

The big picture:



YUM. Incredible dinner. I also learned a fun fact when making the dressing- my mother was telling the truth about vinegar and sunburns after all!!



Have a wonderful night!!

XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment