Friday, December 3, 2010

Death, A funeral & Other Random Bits

So since I last blogged 3 months ago there have been some changes.  I was 1 week into my "Vegan lifestyle" trial and doing well when…death happened.  A family member of my husband passed away.  He wasn't someone that I had the opportunity to grow close to but in the few times I was with this man I was touched by his strength and love for his family.  He was a good father, brother, grandfather and great grandfather.  It wasn't without warning.  Cancer always lets you know it's coming to collect you and take you home, but that doesn't make it any easier.  There was mourning and grief.  I grieved for Scott (my husband), and my sweet in-laws and sobbed my way through the beautiful funeral.  Death isn't something that is new, but it is still a hard lesson to partake in.  

To get to the funeral we did a 14 hour drive to South Carolina with my husband's sister and her husband.  They are a wonderful couple so 18 hours in a car together wasn't awful. J Needless to say there wasn't a whole lot of healthy vegan options along the way, so that, coupled with grief, coupled with amazing South Carolina BBQ lead me to break the diet.  

That wasn't the end of the journey with experimental Veganism for me. I have been accepted as part of a clinical study for weight loss doing a 4 month vegan study. I will get to meet with nutritionists, get meal planning advice and have access to the country's top physicians who will be flying into Dallas to meet with lil old me and 60 other co-workers. JHopefully we'll start the program in January.  I'm excited to see what happens.

At the beginning of November I completed the Susan G Komen for the Cure and walked 60 miles over a span of 3 days.  As tough as the walk was physically, it was nothing compared to raising $2,500 to participate! But we made it and I was really proud of us. It was incredibly emotional and touching. I would recommend anyone to try it at least once! After the walk the weather grew chilly and my body and mind grew lazy and I had a pretty rapid weight gain of 7 pounds over a month.  I have snapped back into the mindset and started monitoring my portions and exercising.  I went for my first run in 6 weeks on Wednesday.  It wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be but I definitely have lost some of my endurance.  It will be a fun challenge to build it back up!

In other non-health news my birthday was in November and as his gift to me Scott turned our library into a craft room! It was a fun challenge for us, he painted the room an amazing creamy teal that screams out "Martha Stewart!" (aka let's get crafty!).  We custom built the half of the desk using scrapbook storage kits and some creatively jointed closet shelving.  It's great to have an outlet to use when it's unbearable to go outside.  I've been making lots of cards using my Cricut (funnest machine ever), and started sewing a bit.  We got a great deal on the Cricut and a Sewing Machine on black Friday! So who knows what I'll craft up next? It's officially my favorite room in the house though!

I also have been really getting back into photography and studying that art.  Scott and I are taking a Photoshop class during the Spring Semester- it'll be fun to be in class with my husband! I've been reading up about lenses- my three next purchases (slash desired Christmas gifts) are a Kelly Moore Bag (so cute!) , a 50mm lens and a 28mm wide angle lens.  If only photography equipment was cheap!


No comments:

Post a Comment